Capturing an image is only the beginning of the process. Once captured, we process the image and then digitally retouch and enhance it. This process can bring out details, enhance colors, and clean up flaws. Essentially, we can take a great image and make it a fantastic one!
Here are a couple of samples where digital enhancement made a huge difference.
St. Rocco's Church
A tight deadline for a needed photograph of the exterior of St. Roccos Church in Glen Cove, NY meant that waiting for a perfect sunny day to come along with just the right light on the front of the building wasn't possible. The narrow street the church is located on posed challenges to capture the entire building. A banner, paint and other cosmetic flaws detracted from the true beauty of the church.
Here's what went into the optimizing of this image, photographed on an overcast day:
- A blue cloudy sky added. Clouds were positioned to highlight cross on the steeple.
- Color and detail were enhanced on building to bring out the beautiful color and texture of the stone construction.
- The church is located on a narrow street necessitating the use of a wide-angle lens to capture the entire building. The distortion was corrected to create straight lines to the building.
- A banner above the door was removed.
- Yellow paint on steps was removed.
- Areas of brick needing repair (pointing) were retouched for cosmetics.
Long Beach Waterfront
Photo captured under less than ideal circumstances and brought to life through the magic of digital image enhancement.
Here's what went into optimizing this image captured on a hazy, overcast day:
- New sky added
- Sharpness, color, and contrast of the building enhanced
- Water colorized to enhance the blue appearance